Central Prefix Register:
Breeders can apply to register a prefix. Registered prefixes are for breeders when naming their own home-bred stock.
This is managed by an external body, the Central Prefix Register. The CPR website is a useful guide to the availability of prefixes. Please contact CPR if you would like confirmation, or to reserve a prefix, prior to submitting this application to your breed society.
In the event of a dispute the Principal breeder shall have the right to retain the prefix.
Prefixes must be one distinctive word with a minimum of two letters and no hyphens, spaces, numerals or apostrophes.
Breeders and owners may not:
- Register any horse using a prefix registered to another breeder;
- Register or name a horse bred by someone else, using their own prefix or any variation of it (this includes horses purchased in Ireland that have been named there);
- Register a horse with this Society, using their own prefix that is registered with another PIO but not with this Society.
THE GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATION 2018 NOTICE / PRIVACY STATEMENT:
Central Prefix Register (CPR) is a data controller and endeavours at all times to process your personal data in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation 2018 (UKGDPR). Your personal details will be kept confidential and secure and will be processed by CPR for the following purposes:
- Administration of your prefix application.
- Contacting you about CPR’s activities.
- Statistical and analytical purposes.
- CPR will not disclose your personal data to third-party data controllers other than in connection with DEFRA passport legislation, unless in accordance with law or with your permission.
- CPR will continue to process your personal data as part of its ongoing horse breeding database until you notify CPR to stop processing your personal data.
- To discharge its responsibilities for the implementation of horse passports
- To facilitate strategic planning within the equine sector
- To assist in tracing the owners of straying, lost or stolen horses
- To reduce malpractice in the sale of horses and ponies.
If in doubt, please contact the Central Prefix Register for advice.
Mrs Gina Dent, Secretary, Upper Marshes, Semley, Shaftesbury, Dorset SP7 9AE